I’ve been in such a soup mood lately! Most of my family’s soup favorites are super heavy, cream-laden, full of cheese and bacon and other amazing things, which is AWESOME, but sometimes you want something a little lighter. This soup is fantastic because it is super thick and hearty without the added fat and calories of cream. I based it on several recipes I’ve tried over the years, and after some tweaking, it comes together beautifully in the Instant Pot.
Here’s the recipe!
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 2 t. olive oil
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk (I used skim, any variety is fine)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 t. oregano
- 1/2 t. garlic powder
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 package Rice-A-Roni long grain and wild rice, including seasoning packet
- Turn Instant Pot to Saute setting. Once the inner pot is hot, add olive oil. Add carrots, onion, and celery and cook while stirring until onions are translucent.
- Next, add rice, all seasonings, and chicken broth, pushing down the chicken breasts so that they are on the bottom.
- Turn Instant Pot to off. Seal lid, close pressure valve, and use manual setting to pressure cook for 15 minutes. After the time is up, allow pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes, then do a quick release. Place a towel over the valve to minimize splattering.
- After pin has dropped and pressure is fully released, remove Instant Pot lid. Return Instant Pot to Saute setting. Whisk flour and milk together until smooth, and slowly add mixture to pot. Stir for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!