Instant Pot Boiled Eggs – No Peeling!

You know those things you see kicking around Pinterest but never try? Well I tried this and it worked out so well!

I was making my super awesome potato salad today which calls for 8 boiled eggs, peeled and chopped. Did you know you can just crack them in a bowl and put the whole bowl in your Instant Pot? No ice bath or peeling required. The resulting bowl-shaped egg loaf is initially horrifying, but once you chop it up, it’s wonderful!

Simply spray a glass bowl with nonstick spray and crack your eggs right into it. Place on a trivet in the Instant Pot and add 1 cup water to the pot (not the bowl!) Cook on manual for 5 minutes with a natural release.

I used the smallest of my Pyrex glass mixing bowls and it worked great.

Don’t be scared! I know it’s freaky, but dude. No egg peeling. Someone suggested pushing the whole thing through a cookie cooling rack to dice them all at once! I’m going to do that next time!

Comments

1. LIsa says:

Oooh will have to try this! You have to try the potato salad cooked all at once in the IP too! You cook the potatoes and eggs at the same time! Turned out perfect. It is on Pinterest as well.

2. This is the one of the most useful and wonderful tips I have ever seen…I hate trying to peel my hard boiled eggs. Thank you!

3. nan says:

Geesh… why didn’t you just say pressure cooker, would have been much more to the point. LOL

4. Sharyn says:

What if you don’t have an instant pot? Can you do them in a double boiler? Or a microwave?

5. Terry pogue says:

Use your pastry blender, the device you use to cut cold butter into flour to make pie crusts. It works like a charm on eggs or potatoes.

1. MamaG says:

Or avocados!

6. Donna says:

Hey Laura I’m finally trying your method… Did you ever try pushing it through the cookie rack yet? I don’t know if I should try that or if I’m going to be frustrated and should have just chopped them

7. Lynne says:

It’s harder to clean the mesh full of egg residue than just to chop it up on a cutting board. I put a small pan of eggs on top of my cut potatoes when making potato salad and get both done at once. I like the idea of using the pastry cutter though if you don’t need good looking pieces.

8. Debby Smith says:

I just left the loaf in the pyrex and ran a knife back and forth through the eggs and it kept all the mess in the bowl. Then I just added my egg salad ingredients! SO EASY!

9. Geri says:

I just did 16 eggs!
    A nutritionist once told me an egg was nature’s multivitamin. So I often have a boiled egg as breakfast or snack.
    BUT I HATE PEELING THEM!!
    This was so quick and easy to peel.

10. Jamie Wimer says:

I love this method! I find that 6 minutes works better for me (maybe my eggs are colder?). I also use the cookie rack and it’s so fast! Just wipe clean with a soapy rag. I suppose that would also depend on what coke of rack you have.

Put egg loaf on rack to cool, place same bowl underneath to catch egg and mix egg salad. 👍

11. Lynn says:

This is my go to method any time I need hardboiled eggs. I use a pastry cutter to chop my loaf, works great and easy clean up. No more egg peeling for me!

1. Susan Pemberton says:

Great, thank you! I am going to do this tonight and cut them up in the bowl.
      Susie

12. Mimi says:

I guess different times for different people, I do mind 6 minutes with a 6 minute natural pressure release. I found that five minutes for me wasn’t quite enough to cook the yolks all the way through.
    But this is genius and I love how easy it is now to make egg salad or add boiled eggs to any dish. Thank you thank you.