Oooh, it’s finally feeling like FALL! Time to make some soup! This Enchilada Soup Recipe will warm your belly.
This recipe came about when my best friend stopped eating gluten and my youngest daughter stopped eating meat. Disclaimer: this soup is neither 100% vegetarian nor gluten free, but it’s close enough for our purposes. We are all huge enchilada lovers over here, and this soup definitely has that yummy enchilada flavor! (If you’re looking for the real deal, click on over to my bomb-ass chicken enchilada recipe!)
I think adding chicken to this soup would make it even better, but I did make it specifically with my little Lexi-bug in mind – she became a vegetarian in June of this year for ethical reasons, which is a whole story on its own. I used lots of beans to give it a little protein.
- 3 c. chicken stock
- 1 T. ground cumin
- 1 T. chili powder
- 1 t. smoked paprika
- 1 large can diced tomatoes
- 2 jalapeno peppers, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 med. yellow onion, diced
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 c. frozen corn
- 1 can tomato paste
- 8 oz cotija cheese, crumbled
- 8 oz pepper jack cheese
- Large handful tortilla chips
- Additional cheese and chopped cilantro for garnish
- Heat chicken stock in large pot over medium heat. Add cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, tomatoes, jalapenos, onions, garlic, and green pepper and simmer 20 to 25 minutes. Add black beans, corn, and tomato paste and stir to combine. Crumble tortilla chips into soup and allow to soften and thicken broth. Add crumbled cotija cheese and pepper jack cheese and stir.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with cheese, cilantro, and avocado if desired.