We’ve had a handful of chilly fall days here in Denver this week – perfect soup weather! This soup is my 11-year-old daughter’s absolute favorite meal that she requests all the time. She fell in love with the Chicken and Gnocchi Soup at Olive Garden, but to be honest, we think my recipe is even better. (It certainly uses more gnocchi!) Best of all, it comes together in minutes because of the rotisserie chicken! The only real prep work is in chopping the vegetables, which I have my kids do for me!
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 8 c. chicken broth
- 2 c. half & half
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 c. fresh spinach, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 t. nutmeg
- 1 t. seasoned salt
- 2 boxes gnocchi
- 3 T. butter
- Melt butter in stockpot over medium heat, and saute onion, garlic, and carrot until onions are translucent.
- Add chicken broth to pot and bring to a boil. Add gnocchi and allow to boil for several minutes - gnocchi will float to the top when done. Reduce heat and add chicken, spinach, and seasonings. Let simmer for five minutes, and then add half & half. Stir to combine.
- Allow soup to heat thoroughly - do not boil. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.