Avocado Tomatillo Salsa

I am about to share a recipe with you that is going to take Taco Tuesday to the NEXT FREAKING LEVEL: Avocado Tomatillo Salsa.

avocado-tomatillo-salsa-pablo
I can cook. I mean, I can cook some pretty amazing things sometimes. But my cooking doesn’t even compare to my inlaws’ cooking! We were over at my husband’s stepdad’s house a few months ago for dinner, eating taquitos, carne asada, rice and beans, pico de gallo – all made from scratch, of course – and it was better than any restaurant I’ve ever been to! Besides the obligatory tomato salsa, there was this FANTASTIC creamy, spicy, tomatillo-avocado concoction that we DROWNED our taquitos in. You guys. It was so, so good. I begged them to share this recipe with me, and now I’m going to share it with you, because this just isn’t the kind of thing you keep under your hat. Make this, and you’ll be so happy. I promise.

Avocado Tomatillo Salsa

Ingredients

• 8 tomatillos, roughly chopped
  • 3 avocados, peeled and pitted
  • 1/2 bunch cilantro
  • 1/2 white onion, roughly chopped
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 lime (juice)
  • 2 serrano chiles, roughly chopped

Instructions

1. Boil tomatillos and serranos in a small amount of water until soft. Drain and place in blender.
  2. Add avocados, cilantro, onion, and garlic, and lime juice to blender. Blend on "chop" setting until desired consistency is reached. If salsa is too thick, add a small amount of water a little at a time while blender is on.
  3. Add salt and additional lime juice to taste.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by Yummly Rich Recipes

P.S. Also pictured here is my Restaurant Style Salsa – put your blender to work!

Comments

1. Laura says:

Yum for real. I just need to foolproof recipe for homemade taquitos, and my life will be complete.

1. kay says:

Looks delicious!!! I’ve been buying the Wholly Guacamole Avocado Verde Salsa and it’s yummy. This sounds very similar but even more yummy!!!!

1. Laura says:

Yes! Kay, try it! I just made it again tonight and we poured it all over our lettuce-wrap, ground turkey, white girl tacos. Freaking fantastic.

2. Suzanne says:

I made this last weekend and it turned out great. My family never had the tomatillos before so this was our monthly ” try something new”. My family loved it. My question is.. Can you can this or is it better to just make it fresh each time? I had about a half pint left over and thought about this.

1. Laura says:

I have never canned anything in my life, like EVER, so I really don’t know! I’m glad you enjoyed the salsa! I wonder if you could freeze it? If you end up canning it, let me know how it turns out!

3. Lisa says:

We just made this for our tacos this evening, it was amazing! Will be making this again, a lot and sent it to my mom telling her to try it asap cause she is missing out. Thank you so much for sharing!

1. Laura says:

Yum! I’m so glad to hear it, Lisa! Hope your mom liked it too.

4. Betty Proffer says:

This was great! I used jalapeños instead of Serranos and charred all the veggies befor blending. I added just a little agave nectar to take a little of the sharpness off the tomatillos! Yummy!

5. Susan says:

I can’t wait to try this! Are you supposed to chop the tomatillos before or after they are boiled to softening?

6. Priscila says:

I am a Mexican and I just found this recipe by chance. I have yet to make it, but I will be making it for Nochebuena! On the menu are Tamales and this yummy yummy salsa/dipping sauce for our tamales! I am very excited to try this. Thank you for sharing.

1. Laura Neiman says:

I am thrilled to hear it! Enjoy! Merry Christmas! ¡Feliz Año!