I had such a splendid ladies’ night this weekend. One of my favorite girlfriends hosted a little party called Souper Saturday, and we all enjoyed a variety of super amazing soups – not to mention desserts, wine, and Rumchata! Also? I played Pictionary for the first time IN MY LIFE, you guys. Where have I been?
This was such a great idea for a get together on a chilly fall night! I haven’t seen my lady friends in forever and a day, and this was just what I needed. I thought I’d share the recipe for the Beer Cheese Soup I brought. It was good.
- 1/4 c. flour
- 1/4 c. butter
- 2 c. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 t. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 c. milk
- 1 c. beer (I prefer Fat Tire!)
- 1 1/2 t. mustard powder
- 1/4 t. cayenne pepper
- 1 t. salt
- 1/4 t. pepper
- Saute onion in butter in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Add flour and mustard powder and stir to create a roux. Cook roux for a couple of minutes, and then add milk, stirring constantly.
- Add beer and seasonings, then allow to simmer for five minutes.
- Add cheese and stir gently. Allow cheese to melt, then ladle into bowls.
- Garnish with chopped bacon, additional cheese, and chopped scallions, if desired. Serve with crusty bread.